Saturday, October 9, 2010

My first website - Part 1

I just launched my first website! woohoo! www.put3.com!. I was inspired by Pat from http://www.smartpassiveincome.com and his niche site duel. I decided to join in without formally joining in - I don't know if what I just wrote made sense but hopefully you get my drift.

What is it about?

I had this idea about trading your stuff (crap) for other people's stuff (crap) with no money involved whatsoever. Just plain barter. You basically post an ad - description, photos, etc and then from there, see if anyone would be interested in trading with you. No money involved. Its free to post an ad! After I was done with the site, I realized there was no way to stop people from posting stuff on there for sale - so now its just a classified ads site.

How I did it? Well, technically, I didn't do it, at least not the hard part.

The First Step -was to obviously think of a website you want to create. I originally wanted a "bartering" site. I was thinking it would be great if there was a site where you trade your crap with other people's crap straight up - no money involved. The idea came about when I bought some blu-ray movies I already had in DVD. I wanted to go HD. I was thinking of selling them to local stores who take them but it would be better if I can trade it - perhaps for a shirt or a pair scissors (I dont know how scissors came about - it just came to me so I wrote it)

Second Step - was to think of a domain name. I wanted a domain name that would somehow describe my website. I also wanted to spend the least amount of money. So what to do next?

I was faced with a dilemma. I already had a domain name I registered a long time ago but it had nothing to do with my site. "Put3" is actually a bastardized version of "putres" a cuss word in tagalog meaning damn. I am a such a geek and I wanted to get my own domain name so I can host my own email server, my own website, etc - from my house. I wanted to be rebellious without being to obvious - hence the decision to get put3.com
So I did host my own email server but not a website. I had no content for the website so no website - just email. After I proved to myself that I can do it, I got bored it. However, I registered the domain for a number of years so it would be really cheap. It was $6.95 per year if I signed for as long as I am alive so I went ahead and signed with Omnis Network. They were an obscure registrar and they were the cheapest I could find back then. Now there are thousands to choose from with much cheaper rates but Omnis lowered their prices too so that would be good for me when it's time to renew.

Anyway - I had a decision to make. Buy a new domain or use what I already got. Since I was cheap, I quickly learned it wasn't that difficult of a decision. I went with put3.com as I already had it and didn't want to pay for a new domain.

Third Step -  was to code the site. Doing this on your own even with mad programming skills is a daunting task. Doing it without any skills is impossible. Paying someone to do it can be very expensive. Without knowing if it will payoff, its hard to invest. More importantly, I am cheap and there will be no investing. I have access to google so I searched for free turnkey websites that match what my website would be. Luckily for me, google found http://open-classifieds.com/. So I downloaded the code and I was ready to start my site.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment